Applications for the 2019/20 Volunteer Emergency Services Equipment Program (VESEP) are now closed. Applicants will be notified of the outcome later this year.
What is the Volunteer Emergency Services Equipment Program?
The Volunteer Emergency Services Equipment Program (VESEP) is an annual grants program funded by the Victorian Government, which provides funding to Victorian emergency services volunteer groups to purchase essential operational equipment, vehicles and appliances and minor facility improvements.
Victorian Volunteer Emergency Service groups can apply for a grant up to a maximum of $150,000 excluding GST. The VESEP will provide $2 for every $1 of funding contributed by the local volunteer group.
Who can apply?
The VESEP is open to the following organisations:
- Country Fire Authority
- Life Saving Victoria
- Victoria State Emergency Service
- Volunteer Marine Search and Rescue units
- Other eligible volunteer emergency services groups as defined in the Emergency Management Manual Victoria.
What can be funded?
Equipment purchased with the grant funding can include but is not limited to: vehicles, trucks, tankers, watercraft, trailers and can also include minor facility improvements.
Projects must begin on or after the start of the funding allocation and should be fully expended by the end of the grant’s financial year.
Priority will be given to the following:
1. Operational Equipment such as:
- Quick Fill Pumps
- Inflatable Rescue Boats
- Rescue and Safety Equipment
2. Vehicles and Appliances such as:
- Lighting and Storm Trailers
- Light/Medium Tankers
- Big Fill Trucks
- Vessels and Engines
- Rescue Trucks
3. Minor Facility Improvements such as:
- Amenities – such as: kitchens/change rooms
- Temporary and transition facilities
What will not funded?
Core budget requirements
- Recurrent expenditure such as maintenance
- Projects currently in progress
- Project overspends
How are applications assessed?
Applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- The asset will enhance operational capability
- The group has the appropriate resources to house, operate and maintain the asset
- The asset will provide a net community benefit
- Funding for the asset has not been received under another program
- The group must meet their matched funding formula contribution
- The group can demonstrate that the make and model of all equipment meets agency standards
An assessment panel (VESEP Panel) will be chaired by Emergency Management Victoria and will comprise representatives from relevant emergency services organisations.
How to apply?
- Each agency will distribute specific guidelines and application forms.
- You need to complete the application form, attaching relevant financial plans, statements and responses to agency specific key selection criteria.
- Submit your application by the due date.
The following are links to the application portals for each agency.
Country Fire Authority applications
Victoria State Emergency Service applications
Life Saving Victoria applications
Volunteer Marine Search and Rescue applications
Other eligible volunteer organisations
What happens next?
- Your application will be reviewed and prioritised by your agency.
- The VESEP Panel will assess applications and forward recommendations to the Minister for Police and Emergency Services.
- Following the Minister’s decision, you will be advised of the outcome of your application in writing.
Who has previously received a grant?
For more information call VESEP liaison officer at Emergency Management Victoria on (03) 8685 1303 or email firstname.lastname@example.org